BACK UP BLOG

This blog is a backup for American Indian Adoptees blog
There might be some duplicate posts prior to 2020. I am trying to delete them when I find them. Sorry!

SURVEY FOR ALL FIRST NATIONS ADOPTEES

SURVEY FOR ALL FIRST NATIONS ADOPTEES
ADOPTEES - we are doing a COUNT

If you need support

Support Info: If you are a Survivor and need emotional support, a national crisis line is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week: Residential School Survivor Support Line: 1-866-925-4419. Additional Health Support Information: Emotional, cultural, and professional support services are also available to Survivors and their families through the Indian Residential Schools Resolution Health Support Program. Services can be accessed on an individual, family, or group basis.” These & regional support phone numbers are found at https://nctr.ca/contact/survivors/ . MY EMAIL: tracelara@pm.me

Wednesday, December 7, 2022

SIXTIES SCOOP: Raised Jewish, Adoptee Sharing Story

Former Winnipegger of Métis ancestry, raised Jewish sharing her experience


 
 
Growing up as an adopted child in a Jewish family in Winnipeg, Lisa Wilder knew she was different. She just didn’t know why.

She found out when she was in her mid-20s.


She was of Métis ancestry.







SUPPLIED by Lisa Wilder




“I felt misaligned as a child,” said Wilder, 53, who was part of the ’60s Scoop.


It wasn’t the fault of her family or the Winnipeg Jewish community, she said.


“I had a good upbringing, and my adoption was presented in a positive
manner by my parents,” she said. “I just felt something was off.”


Later in life, as Wilder learned more about her adoption, she
discovered her mother was 17 when she was born. Shortly after, her
mother was told Lisa would soon die. Hospital officials convinced her to
sign papers to pay for the burial.


But the baby was not dying. Instead, she was put into a foster home
where she was adopted by her new parents — who didn’t know she had been
“scooped.”


Today Wilder, a mother of three who now lives in Calgary, is on a
quest to learn more about her Indigenous roots and combine them with her
Jewish life.


There are similarities between the two, she said, adding both groups “suffered a genocide.”


She also noted that Indigenous people, like Jews in Nazi Germany,
were prevented from performing their ceremonies or celebrating their
spirituality. They were also confined to reservations, like Jews were,
for a time, confined to ghettos.


As she learns more about the Indigenous side of her heritage, she is
looking for ways to amalgamate the two. At the same time, although she
is of Métis ancestry, Wilder is careful not to call herself Indigenous.


“I’m not trying to pass myself off that way,” she said. “I have not
led an Indigenous life. I grew up Jewish. Métis is my ancestry. I’m
reaching out to Indigenous people for guidance. I want to learn more.”


Wilder spoke about her experience at a presentation called
Uncovering my Métis Roots: A Jewish Woman’s Journey.


“I’m a bit terrified to share my story in the community I grew up
in,” said Wilder, noting her adoptive parents, who were supportive of
her search for her biological family, will be there.


Her hope in sharing her experience is to promote understanding between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Canadians.


“I hope I can move the needle of awareness a little bit, to make this
a more peaceful and understanding world,” she said. “I’m no expert. I’m
just a person with a story who wants a better world.”


To register for the event, which is presented by the Jewish Federation of Winnipeg — Women’s Philanthropy, call 204-477-7426 or visit their website.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.

CLICK OLDER POSTS (above) to see more news

CLICK OLDER POSTS  (above) to see more news

BOOKSHOP

Please use BOOKSHOP to buy our titles. We will not be posting links to Amazon.

Featured Post

Does adopting make people high? #WonderDrug

reblog from 2013 By Trace A. DeMeyer  Hentz I’ve been reading blogs by Christian folks who saved an orphan and plan to do it again.   Appar...

Popular Posts

To Veronica Brown

Veronica, we adult adoptees are thinking of you today and every day. We will be here when you need us. Your journey in the adopted life has begun, nothing can revoke that now, the damage cannot be undone. Be courageous, you have what no adoptee before you has had; a strong group of adult adoptees who know your story, who are behind you and will always be so.

OUR HISTORY

OUR HISTORY
BOOK 5: Lost Children of the Indian Adoption Projects