BACK UP BLOG

This blog is a backup for American Indian Adoptees blog
There might be some duplicate posts prior to 2020. I am trying to delete them when I find them. Sorry!

SURVEY FOR ALL FIRST NATIONS ADOPTEES

SURVEY FOR ALL FIRST NATIONS ADOPTEES
ADOPTEES - we are doing a COUNT

If you need support

Support Info: If you are a Survivor and need emotional support, a national crisis line is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week: Residential School Survivor Support Line: 1-866-925-4419. Additional Health Support Information: Emotional, cultural, and professional support services are also available to Survivors and their families through the Indian Residential Schools Resolution Health Support Program. Services can be accessed on an individual, family, or group basis.” These & regional support phone numbers are found at https://nctr.ca/contact/survivors/ . MY EMAIL: tracelara@pm.me

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

A system of insanity: Medicating Kids

By Trace L Hentz (a repost from 2015)

My friend Karen Vigneault wrote me an email with this 2015 op-ed http://www.madinamerica.com/2015/03/drugging-children-foster-care/ and said, "So sad, we are such a disposable society."

We are a disposable society. We in America have collectively lost our minds! As I wrote I my memoir, I could have been medicated and drugged for many behaviors as an adoptee/child, but that was the 1960s and they weren’t drugging adoptees then. In order to cope, I had developed an obsessive compulsive disorder.  Eventually my OCD did go away but by then I was a young adult. It helped I had "talk therapy" at age 22.

I also wrote about my foster care training in Oregon when I had 12 weeks of training and one class on “Medicating -- YES or NO"  -- and the social workers showed us a film.  In fact in 1995, YES, drugging was highly RECOMMENDED. They suggested foster parents/adopters get drugs for newly-adopted children and foster children. One father in the film said it was absolutely necessary for his son to be heavily medicated. (I recall there was quite a discussion among 20 of us in this class. I was the only single person getting trained in foster care.)

We have lost our minds (thanks to BIG PHARMA) if we believe drugs help children. It's the opposite!

If you really think about it, “children” are expected to be tranquil, compliant, grateful and act a certain way as children, even though many of us children have been lost and exposed to the gravest injustices being taken from our mothers and families. The children are expected to accept strange new people as parents and smile as though nothing's happened. 

I was so afraid as a child.

Reading this latest article, I am very afraid for all the new children thrust into this system of insanity.





Use the search bar on this blog for topics like this. I will be posting more about Karen Vigneault soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.

CLICK OLDER POSTS (above) to see more news

CLICK OLDER POSTS  (above) to see more news

BOOKSHOP

Please use BOOKSHOP to buy our titles. We will not be posting links to Amazon.

Featured Post

Does adopting make people high? #WonderDrug

reblog from 2013 By Trace A. DeMeyer  Hentz I’ve been reading blogs by Christian folks who saved an orphan and plan to do it again.   Appar...

Popular Posts

To Veronica Brown

Veronica, we adult adoptees are thinking of you today and every day. We will be here when you need us. Your journey in the adopted life has begun, nothing can revoke that now, the damage cannot be undone. Be courageous, you have what no adoptee before you has had; a strong group of adult adoptees who know your story, who are behind you and will always be so.

OUR HISTORY

OUR HISTORY
BOOK 5: Lost Children of the Indian Adoption Projects